Update day: 05-12-2023
Industry: Pharmaceutical Manufacturing
Position: Mid-Senior level
Job type: Full-time
Job contentAGS Automotive Systems is a full-service automotive supplier specializing in the manufacture and supply of complex high value-add automotive metal components, including in particular bumper modules. AGS is committed to delivering high quality, high value products to our customers, which includes several of North America’s largest automakers. For over 70 years AGS has stood behind our belief in quality, technology, and teamwork. AGS offers full range of in-house capabilities including design and engineering, innovative multi-material joining, light weighting solutions, high performance coatings including chrome plating and automated manufacturing processes.
AGS is committed to delivering high quality, high value products to our customers, who include several of North America’s largest automakers. For over 70 years AGS has stood behind our belief in quality, technology, and teamwork.
We are currently seeking aTechnical Plating Manager to be located at our Oshawa facility at 901 Simcoe Street South, Oshawa.
Manage the plating process and chemical laboratory functions.
Principal Responsibilities And Duties
- Supervise and manage a staff of direct and indirect reports employed in the operation and maintenance of the plating processes and laboratory activities, in accordance with the organization’s policies and procedures, and regulatory requirements for a safe working environment.
- Plan, assign, and direct activities for safe work practices. Conduct interviews, performance assessments, evaluate training needs and implement upgrading; carry out timely disciplinary processes, and resolve complaints and problems.
- Promote a good working knowledge of and compliance with company policies and the collective agreement as it relates to the management of employees.
- Develop good working relationships with union and safety representatives, respond to their concerns, and resolve disputes including grievances.
- Align the work of operating and maintenance functions to ensure workflow coordination according to production and maintenance plans and customer demands.
- Ensure accurate records and documentation are maintained.
- Attend meetings on a regular basis.
- Be responsible for safety performance in the assigned areas:
- Participate in workplace inspections, such as layered audits,
- Carry out or contribute to information sessions, such as production meetings, safety talks and tail gate meetings,
- Conduct or participate in incident investigations as assigned,
- Contribute to an effective safety training program, ensuring staff are schedule and participate,
- Take action to correct substandard acts or conditions,
- Provide performance feedback to employees and supervisors on health & safety performance,
- Observe and monitor employee safety,
- Ensure the standards of Sections 25, 26 & 27 of the OHSA are met.
- Take a lead role in strategic planning.
- Carry out long-range planning for plating efficiency, environmental compliance, and plant capability.
- Develop plans, coordinate, and direct programs for research, product development, preventative maintenance, and improvement of manufacturing processes.
- Identify the root cause of problems and implement permanent, corrective action.
- Plan and schedule plating maintenance programs.
- Establish good working relationships with plate-related chemical suppliers, vendors and contractors.
- Ensure an adequate supply and scheduling of manpower, materials, spare parts, and equipment for routine maintenance and major projects.
- Manage the manpower supply and demand of the department.
- Direct programs for analysis and testing of substances to support investigations, to detect toxins, or to verify composition of manufactured products and natural resources such as air, soil, and water.
- Coordinate research and analysis activities and approve modification of formulas, standards, specifications, and processes.
- Initiate research, testing, quality control, and other operational reports to ensure that quality standards, efficiency, and schedules are met.
- Interpret laboratory results and forward findings to laboratory personnel, management, and professional and technical societies.
- Communicate with management, technical personnel, and representatives of other organizations regarding department activities.
- Prepares reports and technical papers.
- Initiate or participate in obtaining patents for products, processes, or equipment.
- Develop a budget and related plan for funding approval for operation and maintenance programs.
- Establish and administer the operation, maintenance and capital improvement budgets for the chemical laboratory and plating processes.
- Develop cost /benefit analyses and estimates for upcoming work.
- Administer activities to achieve established targets for labour costs, operating and material expenditures, and budget approvals.
- Authorize process-related purchase orders and P.O.s for specific, pre-approved projects.
- Engage outside contractors for various projects within the guidelines of company policies and the collective agreement.
- Carry out contract administration activities for entering into and monitoring contracts.
- Ensure contractors meet regulations with respect to insurance and that they receive direction on company policy and procedures for safe work practices.
- Ensure contractors attend orientation and sign off their acceptance of conditions and responsibilities within our plant prior to commending work. Monitor compliance.
- Ensure supervisory and technical staff have a good working knowledge of and comply with company policies and the collective agreement as it relates to the management of contractor activities.
- Perform any other duties that may be specifically or generally assigned.
- Post secondary school education in a related technical area; or equivalent technical training /experience.
- Minimum 5 years management experience, including supervisory experience in a union environment.
- Familiarity with budget and financial reporting activities. Good judgement, resourceful problem solving, and analytical decision-making.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Periods of high concentration and attention demand.
- High volume of work.
- Involves frequent walking and climbing stairs throughout the plant.
- Supervise a staff of direct and indirect reports in a union environment.
- Coordination of workflow, training, safety, quality of work, financial responsibilities, and resources management.
- Responsible for manpower and equipment in the plating function of a large production facility with shift work and complex systems.
- Responsibility for environmental impact and stewardship of assets in a complex electro-chemical process.
- Work is carried out in a standard office with visits throughout the industrial environment plant.
- Requires wearing personal protective equipment (safety footwear, hearing protection, safety glasses).
- Occasional visits to corporate offices and other plants, including cross-border travel.
- Requires being available on weekends and off shifts when required. Time pressures.
- Can involve long hours during emergencies and new equipment or program implementations.
Click to apply for free candidate
⏰ 18-12-2023🌏 Brampton, Ontario
⏰ 24-12-2023🌏 Mississauga, Ontario
⏰ 05-01-2024🌏 Mississauga, Ontario
⏰ 04-01-2024🌏 Oakville, Ontario
⏰ 31-12-2023🌏 Markham, Ontario
⏰ 18-12-2023🌏 Hamilton, Ontario
⏰ 02-01-2024🌏 Ottawa, Ontario
💸 $8,724 a month⏰ 25-12-2023🌏 Hamilton, Ontario
⏰ 04-01-2024🌏 Toronto, Ontario
⏰ 23-12-2023🌏 Hamilton, Ontario