Update day: 24-02-2024
Category: Mechanical / Technical
Job type: Permanent
Salary: $3,032–$4,022 a month
Department:Communities, Culture, Tourism & Heritage
Type of Employment: Permanent
Union Status: NSGEU - NSPG
Closing Date:7/7/2023 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
Employee Equity Statement
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy and we welcome applications from Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of the equity groups, you areencouragedto self-identify, on your application form, cover letter, or on your resume.
The Museum Technician 1-2 (Assistant Ship Keeper) assists in the overall operation, preservation, maintenance and security of the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic’s historic ship, CSS Acadia. This involves undertaking of maintenance and restoration projects, ensuring the vessel is secure and properly moored at all times, assisting with public interpretation, and assisting with the duties of wharfinger for the museum wharves. Working under the direction of the Ship Keeper, the Assistant Ship Keeper carries out assigned work and provides the required support to ensure that the ship is clean, safe and well maintained.
The Assistant Ship Keeper also supports the museum’s interpretive programs and special events and is required to communicate with the visiting public. Therefore, an understanding of the museum’s interpretive mandate and key messages, especially related to CSS Acadia, are necessary. The Assistant Ship Keeper must have good communication skills, be capable of physical labour outdoors and aboard a ship, be willing to learn new things and work as a team player. Occasional weekend and afterhours work is also required.
Grade 12 or equivalent and a valid Pleasure Craft Operators Card is required.
Required skills and knowledge include:
- Mechanical aptitude for safe operation of equipment and tools, general maintenance and upkeep
- General knowledge and experience in carpentry and painting
- Knowledge and awareness of Occupational Health and Safety Policies and WHMIS
- Knowledge of marine emergency duties
- Knowledge of ship mooring procedures and boat handling
- Knowledge of fall arrest systems and working safety for working in confined spaces
- Experience working with metal
- Knowledge of heating, plumbing and electrical systems
- Knowledge of conservation techniques to conserve/restore metal or wood
- Experience using a variety of paints and varnishes, applying appropriate coatings to metal and wood
- Small craft competency for operation of museum small craft
- Knowledge and skills using computer software: Outlook; Microsoft Office
Drafting or CAD skills would be an asset
The Assistant Ship Keeper must have good communication skills, be capable of physical labour outdoors and aboard a ship, be willing to learn new things and work as a team player. Occasional weekend and afterhours work is also required.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checksand confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer or will result in termination of your employment.
Based on the employment status and Union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs. Click here to learn more about our various benefits offering and eligibility criteria.
What We Offer
- Career Development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career.
- Engaging workplace: our Employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in, we have forward-thinking policies and strategies.
- Mentorship through iNSpire: a new formal, interdepartmental mentorship program that connects employees so they can gain knowledge and experience to support their career development.
- Countless career paths for Nova Scotians.
- Department specific flexible working schedules.
Pay Grade: TE 12 - TE 16
Salary Range: $1,516.08 - $2,010.77 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current civil service employees represented by the Nova Scotia Government Employees Union (NSGEU). If applying from outside a government office, employees must apply correctly via this link:
Failure to apply correctly means that your application will not be given first consideration as a bargaining unit applicant, and will only be included if external applications are pursued.
External applicants and current casual employees will only be considered if there are no qualified civil service bargaining unit candidates. PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to Competitions@novascotia.ca.
Click to apply for free candidate
⏰ 12-03-2024🌏 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
⏰ 08-03-2024🌏 Stellarton, Nova Scotia
⏰ 15-03-2024🌏 Stellarton, Nova Scotia
⏰ 16-03-2024🌏 Stellarton, Nova Scotia
⏰ 11-04-2024🌏 Halifax, Nova Scotia
⏰ 11-04-2024🌏 Halifax, Nova Scotia