Update day: 23-11-2023
Category: Marketing / PR
Job type: Full-time
Who We Are
The Ontario Centre of Innovation is Ontario’s leading collaboration platform for innovators working to commercialize made-in-Ontario Intellectual Property and technologies. At our core, we bring Ontario innovators together to transform cutting-edge research into next-generation products, technologies and services. There are a lot of buzz words in innovation, from the “intangible economy” to “carbon nanostructures” and “quantum qubits.” Behind this jargon are the stories shaping our economic and technological future. At the Ontario Centre of Innovation, we help innovators build these stories. Now, we’re looking for your help to tell them.
Who You Are
A talented, self-motivated communications professional with an impressive track-record of leading complex, high-impact initiatives. You hate buzz words, preferring to build meaningful conversations around the exciting business and technology trends taking place locally and globally. You open the Globe & Mail and first flip to the Report on Business; yet, still appreciate a well-crafted Opinion Piece. The words “Quantum Computing” and “Blockchain” capture your attention, but you’re also passionate about the human-interest stories behind the hype.
Sound like you? Let’s talk.
OCI is seeking a talented, versatile, and creative Manager, Communications. In this role you will combine the art of crafting the story, writing the content, and producing sought-after thought-leadership across business, technology and investment themes.
In this role, you will deploy your mastery of engagement and story-telling to profile the companies driving the prosperity, health, and sustainability of Ontario’s innovation economy.
The role is a key member of the Marketing & Communications Team and reports to the Director, Communication & Strategy. Despite our size, we punch above our weight by executing collaboratively and love the issues, work, and the people whom with we engage.
Working in this fast-paced and dynamic environment, this position is tailored to driven and self-initiated problem-solvers using a creative and “out of the box” approach.
- Building and maintaining solid partnerships to better develop, coordinate, direct, and facilitate strategic communications designed to meet organizational goals.
- Creating press releases, articles, and media opportunities to highlight brand, programs, and services.
- Directing external photographers, video teams and media-production specialists integral to the completion of marketing projects.
- Aligning budgets to ensure costs, media and labour are in line with the reach and impact for campaigns
- Pitching media and developing strategies and assets for story traction.
- Providing crisis communication counsel and materials.
You’re Particularly Terrific At:
- Developing compelling, engaging content and directing the execution of creative resources to provide a consistent, targeted, and impactful message across platforms.
- Designing campaigns to target specific audiences and effectively measuring ROI of public and media relations strategy.
- Tracking the changes of Ontario’s innovation ecosystem and understanding the varying needs of its stakeholders, including the Government of Ontario, relevant Ministries, the RICs, TTOs, VPRs, and etc.
- Maintaining a two-way communication with internal and external stakeholders to identify opportunities, and align media relations efforts across print and online platforms.
- Being self-directed and able to work with a diverse team to collaborate and support the best ideas, beginning to end.
- Pitch ideas and review Content Calendar with Communications & Digital Engagement Specialist
- Find stories to engage media partnerships in
- Collaborate with partners to find new ways to develop thought leadership for various OCI programs and c-suites
- Coordinate video campaigns for OCI programs including Life Sciences, OVIN, Market Readiness, the ENCQOR 5G program, showcasing Ontario companies
- Work with Director to pitch media on a new story angle related to various OCI programs
- Oversee and update all OCI websites on an on-going basis.
- Coordinate the newsletter preparation and distribution
- Ability to support the Graphic Design Manager & Creative Lead with joint graphic design work and demonstrate fluency with Adobe Suite
- Eventually manage a team of 1 Web Coordinator, while working as part of the bigger MARCOM team
- Provide strategic marketing and communications plans for OCI’s owned channels to support Communications & Digital Engagement Specialist – example: email, social media, content strategy
- Manages relationships with external contactors (web design, social analytics)
- 7+ years relevant communications experience
- Relevant post-secondary education
- Experience developing communication strategies for complex issues
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- A talent for strategic storytelling and for making complex ideas understandable and appropriate to specific audiences
- Experience creating and managing website content, and producing newsletters
- Skilled with social media tools and analytics software
- Proven ability to execute media plans and generate media interest
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to take initiative and work independently
- Excellent interpersonal and team-facilitation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Mac), WordPress, MailChimp, Google Analytics, and social media platforms
- Audio/visual experience, design skills, and familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and iMovie are also a definite asset.
What to Expect:
Over the past year, OCI has changed its name, updated its logo and focused its value proposition. With these changes, and the dramatic technological acceleration prompted by COVID-19, we’re at a critical inflection point to position Ontario as a global leader in technology commercialization. Building on this momentum, this role is not for the faint of heart. Working in this fast-paced and dynamic environment, this position is tailored to driven and self-initiated problem-solvers using a creative and “out of the box” approach.
OCI is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Click to apply for free candidate
⏰ 25-12-2023🌏 Mississauga, Ontario
⏰ 21-12-2023🌏 Toronto, Ontario
💸 $35,000–$40,000 a year⏰ 27-12-2023🌏 Markham, Ontario
⏰ 27-12-2023🌏 Toronto, Ontario
⏰ 20-12-2023🌏 Vaughan, Ontario
💸 $32.50 an hour⏰ 02-01-2024🌏 Mississauga, Ontario
⏰ 28-12-2023🌏 Toronto, Ontario
💸 $18.45 an hour⏰ 04-01-2024🌏 Toronto, Ontario
⏰ 19-12-2023🌏 Toronto, Ontario
💸 $36.10 an hour⏰ 28-12-2023🌏 Brampton, Ontario