Update day: 11-11-2023
Category: Mechanical / Technical
Job type: Casual
Salary: $16.92 an hour
The City of Regina is looking to add truck operators to the casual relief pool in the Solid Waste Collection Branch. This position will not have any guaranteed hours but will be on-call for vacation, EDO and sick-time coverage.
This position operates manual carts and automated side loading garbage packers to collect, transport, and dispose of solid waste from residences on assigned routes in a safe and efficient manner with minimal supervision. This position reports to a Crew Lead.
- Must be able and willing to perform work of a physical nature in field environments and inclement conditions.
- Must be willing to perform overtime, work shift and/or irregular hours.
Typical duties include:
- Operate equipment and collects solid waste on assigned routes in a safe and efficient manner in accordance with Corporate and Department policies.
- Perform and record daily vehicle checks and minor servicing and explains mechanical problems to servicing staff.
- Deal courteously and respectfully with both fellow employees and the general public.
- Identify concerns, issues, and problems at collection points and reports these issues/problems to the Crew Lead.
- Demonstrate and advise fellow employees in the safe and efficient operation of a solid waste collection truck.
- Follow all rules and regulations as set out in the Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act, City of Regina Occupational Health and Safety Manual, and National Safety Code.
- Perform other duties as required.
Candidates will be screened on the following criteria:
*** To be considered for this position you must clearly identify your qualifications, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities and where you obtained them in your application/resume. ***
- Typically the knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position are obtained through experience as an equipment operator.
- Must possess a valid Class 3 Driver’s License with an air endorsement.
- Must obtain and maintain the necessary permits and certifications to operate equipment as required.
- Ability to carry out routine servicing and maintenance procedures on assigned equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to listen, understand, follow and express ideas effectively in both oral and written form.
- Ability to meet and maintain the required standards in the collection, transportation and disposal of solid waste.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to read route maps.
- Ability to direct and supervise the work of other employees who are assigned as helpers to the trucks and ability to demonstrate leadership skills.
- Skill in the operation of solid waste collection equipment.
- Note:Testing may be done to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Note:Candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide proof of acquired education.
- Note:In accordance with the City of Regina’s Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires that the successful candidate provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.
Click to apply for free candidate
⏰ 23-12-2023🌏 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
⏰ 29-12-2023🌏 Yorkton, Saskatchewan
💸 $21.90–$25.28 an hour⏰ 26-12-2023🌏 Prince Albert, Saskatchewan
💸 $14–$16 an hour⏰ 22-12-2023🌏 Humboldt, Saskatchewan